Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Review on "Havah-the story of Eve" by Tosca Lee

Havah: The Story of EveHavah: The Story of Eve by Tosca Lee

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Havah: The Story of Eve was truly a very different read for me. Now when you hear the word "different" ,sometimes a negative connotation is stirred up in your mind. But that really is not the case here-I really just mean it as different as in not the same as other's writing. It took me a little bit to get into this book, but I'm really glad that I hung in there because as things began to unfold I really believe that the author Tosca Lee explored some very interesting themes as to what Eve's life might have been like before and after the fall. Writing a story like this is a little tricky because you fight the whole "we know what's going to happen" angle. But Tosca Lee's writing really captures you and you can't help but hope that somehow Eve won't take the apple from the serpent or that Cain might decide that he doesn't really have to kill Abel after all. But true to the story these things do play out as well as lots of other tough life drama like jealousy, strife, sickness,shame and regret all come into the story in deep and heartbreaking ways. Tosca Lee is a new author for me and her writing is very passionate. Her early writing in the story describing life in the garden was very ethereal and creative. There were a few times that I felt like the word choices made me go "huh?", and sort of momentarily took me out of the story. However, that was just near the beginning, so I found it kind of interesting that it felt like the writing style changed as the story went on which was very unique, after the fall there seemed to be a shift, which makes total sense to me- From paradise to a fallen world. I would like to explore some of Tosca Lee's other writing, it definitely is not run of the mill and I applaud her for taking on this story, what an undertaking and she really took a lot of risks in her writing- very different.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment