Monday, March 14, 2011

How Sweet It IsHow Sweet It Is by Alice Wisler

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Some books are fast paced adrenaline rides where you hold on for dear life, others are more like a slow walk through the park, where you take in more of what's around you and can examine your surroundings. I would say "How Sweet it is", by Alice Wisler is the later. The story is about a young woman named Deena who is recovering from heartbreak and a serious car accident and looking to start over. She moves to her late Grandfather's cabin in the mountains of North Carolina for that fresh start. There's a stipulation in her Grandfather's will which lands her teaching cooking at a youth center in the small town. There are other characters that come into play, like the mentally challenged and darling plumber named Jonas that the whole town loves, her quirky and fun clue-playing aunt ,the social worker Zack who works at the youth center as well. At first glance I think the reader is anticipating a sweet christian romance, but I would say this story goes a bit deeper than that- really how we can work through and over come pain in our lives to be used in bigger ways for God. I think the story touches on a great concept that often times helping others is what helps us as well- by giving, we receive as well. I enjoyed this book and Alice Whisler's writing style. I picked up this book as it had been a Christy award nominee, so wanted to check it out.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment