Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Safely Home" by Randy Alcorn-A must read!!

Safely HomeSafely Home by Randy Alcorn

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


To be honest most of the time I am reading a book for pure entertainment purposes. However, sometimes I come across a book that reaches beyond the "entertainment factor" and crosses into the eye opening and life changing mode. "Safely Home" by Randy Alcorn was that for me. This book follows the lives of two former Harvard roomates one- Li Quan a chinese student in America for an education, and his American counterpart Ben Fielding. The story picks up on their friendship 20 years later and how their lives have completely changed. Ben is now a highly paid, respected mover and shaker for an up and coming company looking to partner with China on a huge business deal and by major contrast the deeply committed Christian and very poor locksmith's assistant Li Quan. Ben comes to stay with his old roomate and soon sees that life in China is not what it appears to be from a Westerner's perspective. He discovers the real danger for those living a life for Christ. This book takes a look at the very real persecution in China for Christians trying to live out their faith. "Safely Home" is a fiction rendering, but it is not fantasy and was a compelling read. There is an alternating of perspectives between the story occuring on earth and that of the heavenly perspective and how nothing escapes the Father's notice. From where I sit, a middle class comfortable suburban Christian who hops in my car on Sundays and Wednesdays to go to church, this book really opened my eyes and my heart to the martyrs and persecuted churches around our world. I highly recommend this book- we all need our eyes and hearts opened so that we can help.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment